jueves, 24 de septiembre de 2020

Osprey KL9, DAY 5

I arrived at the Dos Pinos reservoir this morning at 11:30, just in time to see Osprey KL9 gorging on a fish. The bird was on the far (W) side of the reservoir with its back to me. After a few minutes, and a change of position, I was able to get the following shots:





Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)

Although safe on the far side of the reservoir, the bird has little privacy:


Given its present location, I imagined KL9 would sleep the siesta for the rest of the afternoon, so I made myself comfortable for a period of inactivity with perhaps a few photo opportunities. Then came the surprise...

The bird suddenly took to the air and began gaining altitude in leisurely spirals, taking advantage of the local thermals. It initially headed east, a few hundred metres up, only to suffer brief harassment from one of the local Kestrels (Falco tinnunculus canariensis). The Osprey reacted by veering south without losing altitude. 

Osprey (Pandion haliaetus), probably departing La Palma


KL9 continued southbound at a considerable height until it eventually disappeared from view. Everything points to KL9 having ended its stopover on La Palma, but I will check the reservoir and surroundings over the next few days.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.